GOURMET BLACK BEANS and RICE (Simple)
- cooked brown rice or corn pasta, or warmed corn tortillas
- 16-ounce can black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (0.4 oz.wt.)
- chopped onion (1.4 oz.wt.)
- Garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/6 cup dry red wine (1.4 oz.)
- 1/3 pound tomatoes (5.4 oz.wt.)
- 5 black olives, rinsed, stones removed, & quartered
- 1/3 teaspoon dried epazote (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon chilpotle purée (optional) OR
1 teaspoon Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
- Water, if needed
- slivered Cheddar or Jack cheese (1 oz.wt.)
If you cook brown rice in a large pot of salted water, it will take 25 to 30 minutes.
Drain and rinse the black beans thoroughly. Set aside.
Cook the onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in cumin and heat. Add red wine and let bubble up. Add tomatoes, chopped black olives, salt, and stir in chilpotle purée. Add beans and, if necessary, enough water to make a nice sloppy consistency. Heat through.
Serve brown rice on plates. Sprinkle the cheese over the rice. Ladle the black bean mixture over all. The cheese will melt under the heat of the beans.
Steve Upstill, Mangia Miscellany: Gourmet Rice and Beans, Mangia software program
Other Suggested Accompaniments:
- avocado, cut up or as a salad
- fresh chopped tomato
- chopped scallions
- chopped fresh cilantro